Monday, September 28, 2020

Core: Arenas of Combat Contest - Day 1

 This is my day one progress on the Arenas of Combat Level Design Contest. I'll try and post one of these daily until the contest is over. 

Today I designed a layout using Dungeon Scrawl, (great LD tool btw). After a bit of iteration I managed came up with this layout.


From here I blocked out the level in Core editor. Here are a few screenshots of the level so far.



Here are my current thought's on it based on a bit of play testing I did.


1. Currently the level feels a bit too small. I am aiming for it to comfortable fit 6 players at once. In it's current state it feels more suitable for 2. May be slightly under scaled right now.

2. The outside areas and middle are death traps right now. I'm thinking that adding some variable height for the ground and some objects for cover will alleviate this issue a bit.

3. Indoor fighting isn't bad but I think the rooms may need more pillars. Tip: Pillars are very fun to fight around a very easy to incorporate into a level. 

4. Looking at it now I think adding an underground section to mid may be a cool way to increase the playspace with minimal without making everything too large.

If you want to check out my level in it's current state you can find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment