Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Ugly HUDs - Passtime TF2

 I was playing Passtime on a TF2maps testing server when it switched to an indev passtime map. The level itself was fine but I was really surprised by how awful the gamemode's HUD was. Below is a screenshot taken during a more action oriented scenario. (Holding the ball while pushing with teammates)


Here is a screenshot form a low action scenario. (Sitting in spawn while typing in chat)


The issue with visibility may be offset a bit if you don't play on a 4:3 monitor like me but there is still a lot of really unneeded information in this HUD. 

For instance I don't think there needs to be a message that displays to all player each time the ball is passed displaying who passed to whom. I also don't think you need a reminder of who's holding it at on the bottom bar above the score. I think the actual visual act of someone throwing to a teammate is all that is really needed. Maybe only have a message appear when an interception occurs.

I also don't think this little timeline bar at the bottom displaying where the goals and players are on the level is needed either. During gameplay I never really reference it at all to find where teammates or goals are, I think just showing them world would be a better approach. A 2D line like this doesn't represent 3D space that well and can't convey the positions your team may be taking. It's really unneeded and just adds a huge amount of visual noise.

The progress bar at the top is also very weird. I think it's supposed to convey when a bonus goal is open but in all my screenshots it's always at that progress level. Again I think something like this could be represented in world than in a HUD element. It's also not really clear what it's supposed to represent.

No comments:

Post a Comment